Motor Truck Cargo insurance (Cargo) is designed specifically to cover transporters for damaged or lost freight due to causes such as fire, collision, or striking of a load while in transit and during loading or unloading. It covers property while at a terminal or dock awaiting final distribution and can be customized to cover physical loss caused by spoilage or temperature changes due to the breakdown of refrigeration or heating equipment.
The policy provides a maximum load limit per truck or trailer with premiums based on the type of cargo hauled or transported.
Exceptions and restrictions
Motor Truck Cargo insurance is not available on garbage trucks, limos, hearses, buses, passenger vans, or ice cream trucks. Here are some cargo types that are also excluded from coverage (other exclusions may apply):
- Art, jewelry, money, or paper
- Contraband, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, alcohol
- Live animals
- Property while in the custody of any other carrier
- Property or goods owned by the insured
- Property not under Bill of Lading
- Storage greater than 72 hours
- Shipping containers
- Explosive or radioactive material
Protect your trucks and trailers with our comprehensive range of insurance coverage. Contact us now.